Thursday, April 23, 2009

GOT FAITH?

Hubby and I went to Bible Study last night. Our Pastor is away in Europe. His son spoke. It was good. He touched on a lot of things that have been floating through what passes for my gray matter these days. One statement, though, hit me like the proverbial ton of bricks. He said, "Sometimes you just have to go through the trial to grow your faith." Did I want to hear this? No. Did I need to hear this? Yes. Wanna know a secret? I knew this. I needed the reminder. I'd rather forget.

Years ago, when I was lying in my hospital bed, everyone telling me I was dying, the saints from our church would come flying into my room and excitedly proclaim, "I have a scripture for you!" It was always Psalm 46:10, "Be still and know that I am God." It was always the same. "Be still and know that I am God." As much as I love that scripture, when you're sick to the point of death it is not what you want to hear. You want to see the skies darken, an intense bolt of lightening appear out of the blackness and a booming voice from heaven proclaim, "Be thou healed. . . like NOW!!!" It didn't happen. "Be still and know that I am God." Sometimes you just have to go through the trial to grow your faith. Did my faith grow then? Yes.

So now we are in another growth spurt. Is my faith growing now? Yes. Do I want to go through the trial now knowing it is to grow my faith? No. I'm stubborn like that. I want it all to go right. I know Jesus said that we will have tribulations, but not to worry as He overcame the world. I have the head knowledge, but my heart is still sad. However, to quote a very wise young man, "Sometimes you just have to go through the trial to grow your faith." So be it, Lord. So be it.

1 comment:

  1. Precious words from a precious soul! I am praying anyway as God does answer yes! In His time. You are one amazing lady and I am honored you call me friend!

    ReplyDelete